Sunday, January 23, 2011

It's All About Me...

Well, Well, Well…my long awaited debut. It’s been quite some time now. I am actually writing a blog! I know what I am doing but at the same time, I don’t. This is an introductory post. This post will give you a glimpse of my life and what to expect. I strongly encourage that you visit this blog frequently and critique if necessary. Email me with concerns or things you want to me address in a blog or post. Ok, I’m getting side-tracked now. Yes, I am a blogging virgin! Lol. But you are probably wondering why. Not why I am a blogging virgin but why I am creating a blog in the first place. Why is she so important? Why should I even read this crazy lady’s blog? I will begin.
I was born in 1987, to one parent. My mommy took care of me. My father was (usually) awol. His name isn’t even on my birth certificate. I know him. And he knows me. And I rather not know him. But hey…what can you do about dead beat daddies? Anywho. My mom raised and home-schooled us. All five of us. I am the 2nd oldest. Hey! No home-schooling jokes. So at parent teacher conference, your mom was the parent and the teacher? Haha, I have heard that joke a trillion times…smh.  
She put us in Tae Kwon Do when I was a kid and I got my 1st degree black belt at 16. An ass-kicking, Black, Muslim girl. I get made fun of about that as well. I had a very good childhood. Like any other kid. I was so determined when I was younger, even in my teens. I always thought that things were possible. And I could do anything. I always wanted to travel the world and see new things. Write novels on the beach.
I graduated at 16 and went to college at 17. I graduated college at 20 years old. To this day I don’t know what happened or how it happened. I struggled. Boy, did I struggle. I was the 2nd youngest in the business class to have graduated in 2008 (the 1st was an 18 year old Indian, go figure). I was crazy motivated back then…my God! What happened to me? I’m so critical now.
I never thought I would graduate. Never. Weird. But I did. The crazy thing is that I wanted to be a writer. But I didn’t want to get an English degree because I would end up being a teacher. And God knows I cannot….I repeat…Cannot be a teacher to kids. So I took business up. Not knowing that years later I would utterly hate it! With capital letters, hate the retail management field. How nasty and full of racism and sexism was in the corporate culture. I wanted nothing to do with it.
I used to write articles, presentations, poems and short stories when I was younger. I loved reading. I was the only kid who spent all my allowance of books at Borders. I lived in the local library. They knew me by name there. I would go everyday and sit and read books in that comfy chair and then I would take at least three home with me. And do it again the next day.
When I got into my 2nd year of college I stopped thinking about becoming a writer, author and my dreams went to a halt. I put my love on the backburner.  I did finish a novel before that but got discouraged and decided not to get it published.
I would write short stories here and there. But I would never finish them because I felt that I wasn’t good enough and that I could never sell my work or that people would even like it. Who was I? Just a Black Muslim girl with a business degree. I wasn’t a writer. An artist. There was nothing special about me that would draw in an audience. That would captivate people. It was impossible and I was afraid of failure. Still is.
Recently, for fun I started thinking up some characters and a plot for a fiction novel. I wrote a few pages last summer then stopped. I grabbed it again this fall and wrote a few more pages and stopped. It was scaring me. I wasn’t going to succeed, why am I wasting my time?  I should be looking for a job instead.
My father-in-law recently passed away. He told my husband that he didn’t regret anything in his life before he passed. That hit me hard. I do. I regret things that I have done and didn’t do. I didn’t want to be like that. Regretting. Woulda, shoulda, coulda. Anyone can die at any moment. And I didn’t want to go out like that.
I signed up for a creative writing class about a week ago. I only been there twice but it’s like a breath of fresh air. They have poets, songwriters and novelist such as myself. I feel a sense of belonging. I want this class to get my creative juices flowing and what I can do to be a better writer. I’m tired of always criticizing myself. And telling myself that I am not good enough. I am good enough. Dammit! I am woman, hear me roar!
I am my biggest enemy. I am my biggest mountain. I am the one who is stopping myself from getting where I want to be. No one else. So, I want to stick to this. Help me out people. I want to blog regularly. So I can create an audience. So I can have the support I need to carry on through this journey. I am writing a book. I am going to finish my book. And I want to get my book published. Hook, line and sinker.

It’s all about The Juicy Details
Much Love,
            Leah J



1 comment:

  1. LOL@ "I AM A WOMAN, HEAR ME ROAR" So hilarious. Girl I am very intrigued by your blog. Its crazy cause im finding things out about you, that i never even knew. I never knew you took tae-kwon-do. Thats wassup. I will never get in a fight with you. Lol. Also on a more serious tip, I beleive you have the potential to do great things and be a great writer. I love reading interesting articles, and your articles are defenily ones that intrigue. Stop doubting yourself boo, even though we all do it. You are great writer babe and remember whatever you put your mind to, you can do! Love you! :-)

    ReplyDelete