Monday, February 7, 2011

A Woman’s Worth

            Haven’t blogged in a week. I just moved. It’s temporary. Trying to work on some big plans for 2011. I don’t plan on staying in Michigan past another year. So let’s pray that’s my plans are going through this year. If not this year, then next. Holla.
Right now I’m at work. Chilling with the patients. Watching them play cards. A good time to write an article.

My topics for “The Juicy Details” will be mainly about women related issues and empowerment. Of course I will add some pieces of poetry and creative fiction to the mix. A few updates before we start today’s topic. I am almost finished with chapter one of my book. Yeah!

So today I’m going to talk about woman’s purpose. Largely debatable across so many boundaries. But I’m not concerned with how everyone else believes or construes a woman’s worth.   

            Every little girl plays house, she is the mama and everyone else the children. She dreams of one day having a home of her own, becoming a nurse or a teacher. Make-up and batting eye-lashes.

           Then we get a little older, we become more repulsed by boys and everything they can do you can do better. We get a little older than that and this perfect man is mapped out from head to toe. The highest expectation that could reach a mountain top.  And you being the naïve woman you are, you won’t settle for less because “You’re worth it.”

Am I right? 

But after a while the world beats her in the face with a wooden bat and she drops her expectations each and every time she meets a bull crap dude. Then where does that leave her? Broken, torn and picking up the pieces.

Each time a man taking a piece of her with him, to never return. Or replace.

Why do women put everything on the line for a man?

They push out kids. Quit their careers. Move to places they don’t want to. Cease school. Decrease their social status. Why? To stroke someone else’s ego.

We are not ego strokers, baby machines, beneath you or anyone else for that matter. We have our jobs. We know our jobs. And do It well.

Because in the end he may not even be there.

It went over so many heads. 

            All we could do is attribute this self-defeat to several factors: love, obsession and fear. I could probably write an entire book on the phenomenon of woman and the life obstacles that we have to go through every day. But I believe in give and take. I believe in balance. Saying balance and living balanced is totally different and not easy to attain but possible.

                Perseverance is possible when we strive every day. Every hour. Every minute of our lives.

                As a woman, you have to look out for you. As a man, you have to look out for you. As a human being, you must look out for you. We don’t live for others, we live for God and then ourselves. That’s just how it is.
               
                You can pretend that your man is your everything and that you couldn’t bear to live another day without him but you need to get you together. You need to find an identity. You need balance. You balance being a mother, a wife, a sister, a friend, a woman and provider. It’s just knowing your worth that makes all the difference.
               

1 comment:

  1. I absolutly loved it leah baby. You are a very educated woman and I look up to you so much. You are going to be a very succesful. I can feel it! I love you medium juicy! lmao

    ReplyDelete